DAY OF GINGER
April 13, 2024
Hosted by the Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection of the Department of Textile and Apparel Management in the College of Arts and Science at the University of Missouri.
Legendary Academy-Award winning performer and Missouri native Ginger Rogers (1911-1995) maintained one of the longest successful – and stylish – careers in entertainment that spanned over six decades from the 1920s to 1984, successfully transitioning across film, television, stage, and radio. The MHCTC’s “Day of Ginger” celebrates this career and a new collection of Rogers costumes and archives through a day of film, exhibition and Golden Gala!
“Day of Ginger” activities also highlight related design scholarship as undergraduate students in six Textile and Apparel Management courses at the University of Missouri utilized Rogers’ costume and career to create one-of-a-kind garment designs! Continue below to learn more about “Day of Ginger” activities.
April 13, 2024
State Historical Society of Missouri Center for Missouri Studies
605 Elm Street
Free and open to the public.
An ambitious pioneering career woman, Ginger Rogers excelled as the queen of dance in motion pictures and maintained a 60-year career in film, television, radio, and on stage! “Ginger Rogers: Dressed to Impress” provides a rare in-person glimpse at Rogers’ clothing from the later years of her solo career now preserved at the MHCTC. Both physical and virtual exhibitions highlight over ten Rogers garments and numerous apparel designs by TAM students inspired by Ginger’s costume and career!
April 13, 2024
Forum 8 Theatre
1209 Forum Katy Parkway
Free ticket and small drink/popcorn combo
Enjoy a free viewing of Ginger Rogers’ and Fred Astaire’s most critically successful film “Top Hat” from 1935 which inspired multiple garments displayed in the Ginger Rogers exhibition! An American dancer, Jerry Travers (Fred Astaire), comes to London to star in a show produced by the bumbling Horace Hardwick. While practicing a tap dance routine in his hotel bedroom, he awakens Dale Tremont (Ginger Rogers) on the floor below. She storms upstairs to complain, whereupon Jerry falls hopelessly in love with her and proceeds to pursue her all over London.
April 13, 2024
Holiday Inn Executive Center
2200 Interstate 70 Drive SW
Celebrate MU’s new Ginger Rogers collection and one-of-a-kind student apparel and floral designs amidst the black-tie glamour of Hollywood’s Golden Age when music was catchy, dancing was divine, and fashion was fabulous! Purchase your ticket to enjoy an evening of delicious cuisine, live big band music, ballroom dancing, and one-of-a-kind fashion and floral designs by student designers!
Kapital Kicks big band orchestra from Jefferson City highlights period music while Mizzou’s Ballroom Dance Club performs a variety of Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire songs; floral couture displays and centerpieces by MU Plant Sciences students and Tiger Gardens beautify the ballroom and adorn live models wearing TAM student designs inspired by the costume and career of Ginger Rogers! For event questions, please contact MHCTC Curator Nicole Johnston at 573-884-5001 or email@example.com.
Purchase your ticket(s) below!
Can’t attend the Golden Gala but still want to support the MHCTC ‘s educational mission? Click here to donate to the Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection at Mizzou.
PURCHASE AN INDIVIDUAL GALA TICKET! $250
- $115 of your purchase directly supports the educational mission of the Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection at the University of Missouri
- $135 supports Golden Gala activities including local music, dance and design talent
PURCHASE A GALA TABLE FOR EIGHT GUESTS! $2000
- (1) Gala table for eight guests
- Name will appear on Gala programming, media and related websites
- $920 of your purchase is tax deductible and directly supports the educational mission of the Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection at the University of Missouri!
- $1,080 supports Golden Gala activities including local music, dance and design talent!
BECOME A GOLDEN SPONSOR! See below.
The Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection at the University of Missouri appreciates support from corporate and individual sponsors to continue our mission of preserving Missouri and University history for teaching, research and exhibition! By sponsoring “Day of Ginger” activities, you help support student education, research and creative scholarship at Mizzou, further MHCTC engagement in the classroom and in the community, and promote local music, dance and design talent! Partial proceeds benefit the Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection at the University of Missouri.
Sponsors will be recognized in many visible ways including within a variety of media and advertising content, listings in the online exhibition, Day of Ginger website and content, and attendance at the Sponsorship Cocktail Hour! For questions regarding sponsorship opportunities, please contact the MU College of Arts and Science Office of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or (573) 882-4421. For event questions, please contact MHCTC Curator Ms. Nicole Johnston at email@example.com or (573) 884-5001.
GOLDEN SPONSOR – $5,000
- (1) Gala table and entry to Pre-Gala Sponsorship Cocktail Hour for eight guests
- Name will appear on Gala, Exhibition and Screening programming, media and websites
- Golden Sponsors: Schedule private tours of the “Ginger Rogers: Dressed to Impress” exhibition and/or the Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection facilities for up to ten guests with Curator Nicole Johnston. Exhibition tours must be scheduled between April 20, 2024 and May 30, 2024.
- $1,080 of all gifts supports Golden Gala activities including local music, dance and design talent and is not tax-deductible. The remaining amount of all gifts is tax deductible and directly supports the educational mission of the Missouri Historic Costume and Textile Collection at the University of Missouri
GOLDEN SPONSOR PRE-GALA COCKTAIL HOUR
6-7 p.m. Hotel Lobby Lounge
Golden Sponsors and Invited Guests: Sip a deliciously minty Ginger Rogers cocktail and enjoy musical entertainment while mingling with student designers and VIP guests including French Master Florist Frédéric Dupré! Held in the lounge directly across from the Gala ballroom, sponsors may chat with student designers while receiving a sneak peek at original student designs inspired by Ginger’s costume and career!